Monday, July 4, 2016

Bollywood- Part 1 (Golden Age of Hindi Cinema)

                                                   This song is from the movie Shree 420, and this movie was the "highest grossing movie of 1955" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shree_420). The lyricist of this song is Shailendra and the singer is Mukesh. This song became a patriotic symbol of newly independant India, and is therefore still very popular.

Fun fact! This song is played at the beginning of Deadpool. In the first chapter of Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, Gibreel sings the first lines of the song while falling to the ground.

Hello everyone! Today, I have chosen the topic "Bollywood", but because there are so many things to include in this topic, I have decided to divide this topic into three; part 1, 2 and 3. I was sitting and wondering which topic I should write about, and then my eldest daughter suggested that "Mama, why don't you write about Bollywood? Bollywood is in the country's veins! You can't forget that!".


After India's independence, the period from the late 1940s to the 60s is regarded by historians as the "Golden Age of Bollywood". Some of the most critically acclaimed movies were made during this period. Some of those movies are Pyaasa (1957), which is a love story between a prostitute, Gulabo, and an unsuccessful poet, Vijay, Kaagaz ke Phool(1959), which is mainly about the differences in social classes and how they affect relationships, Awaara (1951), presents the city as both a nightmare and a dream, Shree 420 (1955) and Aan (1952).


The song "Awaara hoon" is from the Movie "Awaara". The movie became a senstation in South Asia, and became popular not only in India, but in Soviet Union, East Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The song is loved by the people from India, Soviet Union, China, Turkey, Afghanistan and Romania. The lyricist of this song is also Shailendra, and was sung also by Mukesh. "Awaara hoon" means "I am a vagabond". The film was also nominated for the Grand Prize of the Cannes Film Festival (1953). The film is now nominated for the most successful Movie of all time. In 2012, Awaara was on the list of "All-Time 100 greatest films" by TIME.

Some of the most epic movies were also made in this period like Mother India (1957), which was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, Mughal-e-Azam (1960) and Madhumati (1958), which made reincarnation as a theme popular in the Western culture.

The most "mainstream" directors of this period are: Mehboob Khan, Guru Dutt (he was an actor too), Raj Kapoor (he was an actor too), Kamal Amrohi and Vijay Bhatt.

The most renowned actors in this period were Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor and Guru Dutt. The most renowned actresses were Nargis, Vijayanthimala, Meena Kumari, Nutan, Madhubala, Waheeda Rehman and Mala Sinha.

Here are my favourites from the Golden Age:
Dev Anand (1923-2011)


Nargis (1919-1981) and Raj Kapoor (1924- 1988)




Dilip Kumar- The Tragedy King (1922- )

Vyjayanthimala (1936-)

and last, but not the least
Madhubala (1933- 1969)

Story time! When I was named Madhu, my grandfather added a middle name, Bala, so my name was Madhubala Rana. My grandfather loved me more than anyone. I guess, the reason behind that is that  I was his first grandchild, so he wanted to name me. As I grew, I understood why he had named me that (because he was a big fan of Madhubala). I wanted to change my name, so my grandfather gave me another middlename, Rani (meaning: Queen), but then I rejected it. I used Madhu Rana officially at that time, and then I got married, so my name is now Madhu Jaswal.


                           
This song is from the one of the most epic movies in Hindi cinema, Mughal-e-Azam and costed approx. Rs. 10 million  at a time when a film would be produced for less than a million, as per a report on imdb.com. The song was picturized at Mohan Studios on a set which was built as a replica of a Sheesh Mehal (A room of Mirrors- In my opinion, it is the most beautiful part of any Palace). The song was sung by the Nightingale of India, Lata Mangeshkar and created by Nushad. The song title means "I have loved, so what is there to fear?" The actress in the movie is Madhubala (playing the role of Anarkali) and the actor is Dilip Kumar (playing the role of Salim).

                                 I will post the second part of this post tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment